POSITION: Bi-lingual Community Engagement Strategist – Neighborhoods
ORGANIZATION: LiveWell Longmont (LWL)
POSITION LEVEL: Full-time, grant funded from October 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017 with probable funding for July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018.
CLOSING DATE: October 10, 2016 at 5 PM
REPORTING STRUCTURE: Reports to the LiveWell Longmont Manager ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW:
LiveWell Longmont ensures that healthy eating and active living choices are available to, encouraged for, and embraced by all in our community.
Longmont, Colorado – a healthy community for all.
Focused on healthy eating and active living
We emphasize healthy eating and active living, focusing our efforts on prevention of obesity and related chronic diseases to most effectively use our collective resources. We prioritize closing gaps in healthy equity to have the greatest impact in our community.
Inclusive and Collaborative
We strive to be inclusive and collaborative in our efforts to improve healthy eating and active living in our community. We recognize that becoming a healthier community requires broad based solutions identified by our diverse community.
We honor the work done in our community and use it is a catalyst to create a healthier community. We listen first and then create, with our community, opportunities for all voices and opinions.
Informed and Innovative
We are data driven and use evidenced-based approaches when available. We embrace new ideas and the many paths to innovation in order to create the greatest impact and achieve the greatest outcomes.
We create long-lasting, positive change through policy change, improvements to our built environment, and growing our local resources.
DESCRIPTION: The successful candidate is responsible for and will coordinate the formation and operation of a community-led, neighborhood focused approach designed to elevate the voices of community members in the prioritized neighborhoods within Longmont. These neighborhoods face factors currently associated with higher prevalence of health disparities such as diabetes and other chronic diseases. Through this work, the strategist position will create, engage and mobilize allies throughout the community that can support and assist needs identified by community members and will collaborate with neighborhood leaders. This is a great opportunity to join our small, supportive team, working in a friendly, casual environment to positively impact our community!
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Actively participate in a collaborative process for addressing issues of healthy eating and active living.
- Build capacity of community members through recruiting, mobilizing and training leaders and volunteers to effectively advocate for solutions to self-identified issues.
- Convene and coordinate in traditional and non-traditional ways to ensure all voices, including those most impacted by health disparities, are heard and incorporated into future work and strategies. Serve as liaison and ally to stakeholders and neighborhood members in community organizing activities.
- Oversee subcontractor responsible for providing two 40-hour trainings in the identified neighborhoods; this includes managing training contract, planning all logistical needs and promotion of trainings.
- Identify, hire and supervise three promotoras from neighborhoods in which work is happening to serve as leaders in their communities.
- Advocate for the best interests of the identified neighborhoods both formally (i.e. policies, programs or environmental changes) and informally.
- Represent LWL at appropriate meetings, presentations and community events, as needed. Collaboratively develop and implement time specific plans to grant award.
- Assist with the creation and distribution of communications on LWL activities and issues, including website and newsletters.
- Build and record knowledge of appropriate community services and resources to make appropriate connections among neighborhood members.
- Contribute to maintenance of LWL calendar of events, organizational databases, and all records and reports for LWL, community stakeholders, and funders.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience in community organizing and development Demonstrated knowledge and skills in effective community engagement
- Must be bi-lingual in Spanish (read, write, and speak fluently in Spanish and English)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal
- Genuine commitment and sensitivity to those living in Longmont and the community issues that impact quality of life
- Respect for economic and cultural diversity, experience working with diverse groups of people, specifically those living in Longmont
- Demonstrated supervisory experience with volunteers, community leaders or part – time staff Highly motivated and independent, yet team-oriented
- Must be able to work some weekends and evenings and have access to reliable transportation Meeting facilitation including a proven track record of managing a task force or similar peer-focused group
- Strong time and task management skills
- Project and contract management including grant reporting
- Good analytical, negotiation, and problem-solving skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Computer and other standard office equipment skills sufficient to prepare flyers and other communications, maintain databases, email, and website posting.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary range is $48,000 to $53,000 annually depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits and insurance are also available.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to the following by October 10. Interviews will be held the week of October 17, 2016 and the successful applicant will be asked to begin work as soon as possible but no later than November 2, 2016. Send electronic submissions to: [email protected]
By mail: Melissa Trecoske Houghton LiveWell Longmont Longmont United Hospital with Centura 1950 Mountain View Longmont, CO, 80504